The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent.
It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous, and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
Accountant Assistant Job Summary
JOB TITLE: Accountant Assistant
JOB LOCATION: Arusha, Tanzania
JOB TYPE: Job grade: GSA5
Contract type: Regular
Directorate: Registry of the Court
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Senior Finance Officer – Finance and Administration Division…
Accountant Assistant Job Details
- Help carry out day-to-day finance and accounting activities.
- Engage in the preparation of accounting documents;
- Assist in maintaining and updating financial records;
- Assist to maintain accounting databases by ensuring timely posting of transactions into the accounting software and processing necessary backups;
- Keep records of all financial supporting documents received and ensure their proper filling;
- Assist in the verification of various financial transactions.
- Preparation of payments and ensure proper filling and custody of all payments documents.
- Posting of various financial transactions in SAP system and perform necessary General ledger reconciliations.
- Ensure timely submission, collection and filling of all receipts from suppliers and service providers paid by the Court;
- Assist in carrying out monthly bank reconciliation;
- Assist in monitoring of financial commitments in keeping with relevant allocations and approved financial regulations;
- Engage in production of management account reports;
- Handling of office Petty cash
- Preparation and follow up of the Organisation VAT refunds
- Engage in Internal and External Audit exercises.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education and a Diploma in Accounting or in Finance or in related disciplines.
- A higher qualification in the requested field will be an added advantage
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization.
- Demonstrate professionalism abilities;
- Concentration and high level of accuracy;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment and under minimum supervision;
- Good planning and organizational skills;
- Good communication skills and respect for confidentiality;
- Knowledge of international organizations;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages. Good knowledge of at least one other language will be an added advantage.
- Computer literacy (including good knowledge of ERP-SAP and/or S4 Hana).
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The African Court is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$1,401.12 per month), education allowance (100% of the school fees up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four (4) children of up to 21 years maximum), spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary, child Allowance (US$ 250 per annum per child up to four (4) children aged 21years maximum, etc. in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
Deadline: March 28, 2022.
Note: Candidates who previously applied for this position are encouraged to reapply through the aforementioned website.