The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent.
It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous, and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
Library Assistant Job Summary
JOB TITLE: Library Assistant
JOB LOCATION: Arusha, Tanzania
Job grade: GSA5
Contract type: Regular
Directorate: Registry of the Court
Reports to: Librarian – Legal Division
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
JOB TYPE: Full-time
Library Assistant Job Details
- Assist the Librarian in the provision of library services.
- Assist in processing library information materials, including cataloguing, classification, indexing.
- Conducting information searching and retrieval for library clients.
- Maintenance of library catalogues
- Circulation duties of the library.
- Library reference services
- Working closely with the librarian to search, identify and select materials in all formats for possible purchase and integration into the library’s collection.
- Assisting in the audio-visual and serials services of the library;
- Assisting in library events such as Library weeks,
- Assist in library training and user education programmes
- Conduct various library surveys,
- General ergonomics and shelving of library items
- Assist in the preparation of current awareness services and selective dissemination activities such as bibliographies and general information services to users;
- Perform any other duties as required.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education and a Diploma in Library and Information Studies or Information Sciences or related disciplines or an equivalent.
- A higher qualification in the requested field will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
- A grasp of modern library systems and practices
- Knowledge of standard library organization systems especially Library of Congress Classification system, MARC and Resource Description and Access (RDA) protocols.
- Literacy in modern computer applications especially use of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation and conferencing programs.
- Good communication skills and respect for confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment and under minimum supervision;
- Knowledge of the African human rights system;
- Knowledge of international organizations and their functions;
- Knowledge of AU policies, systems and standards
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages. Good knowledge of at least one other language will be an added advantage.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The African Court is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$1,401.12 per month), education allowance (100% of the school fees up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four (4) children of up to 21 years maximum), spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary, child Allowance (US$ 250 per annum per child up to four (4) children aged 21years maximum, etc. in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
Deadline: March 28, 2022
Note: Candidates who previously applied for this position are encouraged to reapply through the aforementioned website.